St. Mary's Center is the only HIV Residential Facility on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
There have been tremendous improvements in the management of HIV since St. Mary's Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) opened in 1992. These developments have led to increased life expectancy, an aging HIV infected population and the emergence of all the chronic medical conditions typically seen among non HIV patients.
St. Mary's Adult Day Health Care (ADHC) was established to address the medical and social needs of this expanding group of chronically infected patients. All of the clinicians at St. Mary's are trained in internal medicine as well as being HIV specialists. As such, they are equipped to deal with diseases that are becoming more prevalent in this population such as diabetes, hypertension and cardiac disease.
In the future we plan to expand primary care to the community at large, with or without HIV. We will accept Medicare as well as many other kinds of insurance.
Medical & Nursing Services
Clients in the ADHC who have primary care providers elsewhere are evaluated by the program physician who can act as a liaison. The goal is to improve the patients’ understanding of their health. Lab results and medication regimens are evaluated. A registered nurse evaluates clients’ antiretroviral adherence and is available to provide assistance such as 1-t0-1 counseling, Directly Observed Therapy or pre-poured pill boxes. Sick visits are usually available on the same day.
In the Nursing Home we are committed to providing care of the highest quality. Our Staff consists of Registered Nurses(RNs), Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs), Certified Nurses Assistants (CNAs), a Physical Therapist (PT), an Occupational Therapist (OT) and a Speech Therapist.
Some Of The Services Provided are:
- IV Therapy.
- Rehab: PT, OT & Speech.
- Trach Care/ Suctioning
- Oxygen Therapy.
- Tube Feeding.
- Dental Services.
- Wound Care/Wound Vac.
- Dialysis Follow Up Care
- Psychiatrist/Psychology Services.
- Catheters/Ostomy Care.
We respectfully care for our residents and honor their dignity and privacy 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
We offer primary care to HIV positive adults who are members of Amida Care. Care is individualized and provided in a warm, nurturing environment. Management of HIV and other chronic conditions such as hypertension, diabetes and asthma is provided. Referrals to outside specialists are made as needed. Psychiatric care, pharmacy oversight, case management and substance abuse counseling are also provided on site. We look to provide high quality, comprehensive primary care that focuses on each person as a respected individual.
What makes St. Mary’s unique is our commitment to a holistic approach to health and healing. In addition to cutting edge medical care we provide complementary therapies such as aromatherapy, yoga and massage. Getting healthy at St. Mary’s isn’t just about taking your medicine; residents/clients are encouraged to participate in self-care with the following modalities:
- Acupuncture - One on one sessions address a variety of issues including joint and muscular pain, neuropathy, immune support, stress, insomnia, weight management and smoking cessation. Ear detox treatments are also provided for drug and alcohol addiction. Magnets, ear beads, and liniments are available for the needle shy!
- Aromatherapy - Participants experience the power of 100% natural essential oils and learn how to address an array of issues including pain, cold and flu, and emotional issues. Beauty/spa formulas are also available such as all natural shampoos, skin rejuvenation blends, massage oils and body lotions.
- Tea Time - This group affords participants the opportunity to learn about and experience the many benefits of herbal teas. Each week we discuss a different type of herbal tea and its benefits and follow with everyone making their own hot cup of tea. We offer organic honey or agave as sweeteners and a healthy snack is also provided. Organic ingredients are always emphasized.
- Massage - Massage is available to help relieve muscle tension, ease stress and just feel pampered! Massage is a wonderful way to take care of your health: research has shown that even a single massage can boost immune system activity.
- Yoga - Weekly yoga sessions are offered as a gentle and safe form of exercise. According to the Mayo Clinic, the benefits of yoga include improved fitness, stress reduction and even the reduction of risk factors for chronic diseases, such as heart disease and high blood pressure. Yoga may also help alleviate chronic conditions, such as depression, pain, anxiety and insomnia.